Sunday, January 28, 2007

Of course, you've heard of us

Periodically, I tell war stories of the Evergreen litigation, which was MDL 886. You can look up my favorite footnote of all time, in United Mine Workers of America 1974 Pension Trust v. Big Star Coal Co., 1998 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11530 (D.D.C. 1998), an opinion that delighted me so much for years I kept a copy in my desk.

Just now, I recalled another story from that case -

At the first big hearing in D.C. after the consolidation, there was a roll call of lawyers for the defendants, and the first one stood up and said, "I'm Paul Dodyk with the Cravath firm."

As I was then with White Elliott & Bundy, someone asked me later if, when it became my turn to speak, I stood up and said, "I'm Steve Minor with the White firm."

I have to laugh at this now, and mean it as no ill reflection on Mr. Dodyk, particularly since he and his colleagues were very generous to me as were all of the lawyers in the case, in ways I have since tried to emulate in my own dealings with other counsel.

No comments: